Tuesday, November 4, 2008

She's Been Country-fied, God Help Us

So last weekend we drove an hour south to a farm owned by old family friends for their annual Fall party. Even though I knew ahead of time that this was, indeed, a farm, and there would be things like bonfires and four-wheelers and hayrides, I guess I still kind of pictured a regular ol' suburbanish house, complete with paved driveway, smacked in the middle of a little bit of land. Umm, nope. They apparently own over 100 acres of gorgeous land out there, and the only thing that is paved is the front porch on the house. Let's preface this by saying that the closest I really got to nature when I was a kid was our almost-an-acre backyard, and the only "nature" really included in that were grasshoppers and earthworms. So cow dung and barns are a little foreign to me. Mikan, however, was right at home, as he had four-wheelers and lots of land and those kinds of little motorcycles that I'm afraid will kill a small child. Of course he talked Ella into getting on a four wheeler shortly after we arrived, and me, Miss I'll Take My Ten Foot Wide Backyard Over Your Gazillion Acres Of Snakes Thank You Very Much, I had to keep my mouth shut so as not to deprive my child of life experiences just because I am not big on the idea of my three year old racing about on a motorized vehicle. So she went, and I almost had a heart attack at every twist and turn on the path they were riding on, and she had the time of her life. She absolutely would not shut up about it for two days. Mikan said that after a couple of minutes she felt more comfortable on there and she started yelling, "WE NEED MORE POWER!". I stayed on the sidelines and watched, content in knowing that I would be walking away from the party with all of my limbs and no concussion.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: