Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Recovering.

Christmas wiped me out this year. It wasn't that we were all that busy, but with a three year old and a 3 week old that was up all night, plus family gatherings and presents and oh god, the puke, I was exhausted. Plus, I developed a nervous tick from all of the toys cluttering up my living room. But the toys are slowly getting put away, and I am slowly catching up on some much needed sleep, and Charlie is getting himself into a little bit more of a routine (which, who here is a little bit in love with routines and schedules?). Minus one night during which he decided to SCREAM BLOODY MURDER for 4 straight hours because he was tired and for no other reason and I cannot count how many times I said "JUST GO TO SLEEP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THAT WILL SOLVE ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS HERE", he is an absolute joy. I am finding things much easier this time around in regard to the whole newborn thing. I remember talking to my friend about how when our girls were newborns we were so sleep deprived and it was so new to us that we just about lost our minds, and I told her that I actually remember looking at Mikan's razor while sitting in the bathtub (with Ella screaming her 3 week old head off in the background), and thinking "Hmmpfh. THAT might not be a bad course of action right now." I am most definitely not thinking that this time around. Yes, he cries and screams and wakes up at night and does everything that Ella did, but I don't really care as much. Maybe it's because I'm busy with Ella during the day and I don't have time to freak out over every whimper, or maybe it's that I generally require way less sleep than I did 3 years ago when I was a child-free person. But we are definitely enjoying this little man, and I can't believe that he is already almost a month old.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

em said...

He is beautiful!!!

The Utley Crew said...

haha! Yes, the razor story! ABORT, ABORT! haha! Only those of us that have been there, done that can laugh about those moments now! And, yes...I think it is because we are busy and don't care as much. (you know what I mean by don't care as much...if they cry for a min. IT WILL BE OKAY-ha!) Charlie is a DOLL. I love that second picture of him! I think we need to arrange a marriage between him and Olivia!