Monday, June 1, 2009

Makes Me Proud To Be From Tennessee.

Conversation overheard today at the splash pad. Enjoy.

Mom 1 (with a cigarette dangling from her lips, while drying off her kid): "Do ya think I shoulda maybe put sunscreen on Junior's lips? Do ya reckon that lips can even get sunburnt?"

Mom 2 (also had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth, also had a rainbow tube top on and a lovely tattoo of what looked to be either an eagle or a scary, fictional monster from a Harry Potter movie on her shoulder): "Nope, lips can't get burnt. It's 'cause they got all that melanoma in 'em."

They hopped in their 1991 Chevy Corsica with the rebel flag bumper stickers and drove away. Probably to pick up some PBR and Cheetos.

Now, I'm almost certain that she meant to say melanin, but that doesn't even make sense, either. So she was just pretty much making stuff up. Or hell, maybe she DID mean to say melanoma, and the kid already had lip cancer, so why bother with the sunscreen. Who knows. I didn't know if I should laugh, or just be proud that this woman even knew what melanin was enough to even get CLOSE to the word. All I know is that it's moments like these that makes me extremely proud to be from the South.

2 comments:

erin's art and gardens said...

We had a new roof put on our house on a 90-100 degree day and I asked the roofer with the marijauna tattoo if he needed some sunscreen and he said with a drawl "no mam, I'm on antibiotics". I didn't even know what to say next!!

Jennifer W. said...

WOW. I love stories that make me feel smarter than I really am. Now I have to go read this to my husband. He will like your lip cancer joke :)